20061214

The best wi-fied fields in the land

My return to the green and pleasant land has necessitated a shake up of the internet connection in the house. Having just the one PC connected to a fixed connection wasn't going to cut it, so following the delivery of a rather fine Netgear router yesterday we're now a fully wireless household.

I have yet to test the full range of the router, which intelligently uses a number of antennae to provide the best reception for wherever the connected PCs are located. It seemed to do the trick as taking my laptop downstairs I still receive a full 5-bar signal. As and when the wind and rain subsides I'll go for a wander with the PDA to see just how far the signal can reach. I suspect the coverage won't extend much beyond the garden but some signal will undoubtedly reach the adjacent fields meaning that we've perhaps the first sheep with wi-fi internet coverage in Cumbria.

Having wireless internet is a great help especially if I'm in the search for my muse and have to find a good spot in the house for some inspiration to get the jottings and compositions under way. Although I thought my laptop battery was about knackered when I left for my trip it seems to have been rejuvenated meaning I could work entirely wireless for a couple of hours if I feel like it. It's fair to say the garden's not really going to be an option for the foreseeable future with the weather how it is. Even if I did wrap up for the cold there's still the force 10 gales whipping through here to contend with and the sort of rainfall the drought-stricken Aussies would give up the Ashes for.

No comments: